International Private Client
Kobre & Kim provides offensive and defensive cross-border litigation and crisis management strategies to ultra-high-net-worth individuals (UHNWIs) with global business interests, to preserve their assets, liberty and reputation. Our team of former U.S. government lawyers and commercial litigators have a proven track record of coordinating multi-jurisdictional offensive, counter-offensive and defensive strategies on behalf of international private clients in anticipation, or as a result of, high-stakes civil and criminal proceedings and investigations aimed at asset forfeiture or confiscation. Our multidimensional approach to UHNWI disputes, which includes the deployment of both in-court and out-of-court strategies, is the premier solution for resolving business disputes and sovereign-driven investigations, tracing and recovering misappropriated funds, defending against asset attacks, as well as acquiring and strategically deploying information to provide UHNWIs with a commercial advantage in their disputes and investigations.
Accolades November 13, 2023
In recognition of the firm’s talent and strength in the wealth sector, Citywealth has shortlisted Kobre & Kim for “Reputation Management Law Firm of the Year” and Polly Wilkins for “Woman of the Year” at the Citywealth Magic Circle Awards 2024. In addition, Alexandria Swette is nominated for “Woman of the Year – Fintech/Crypto” at the Citywealth Powerwomen Awards USA 2024.
Client Alert November 1, 2023
- The U.S. Department of Justice is continuing to extend its long arm jurisdiction into aggressively scrutinizing individuals in Latin America.
- Many targets may become embroiled in what can be overstated allegations, threatening their assets, liberty and reputation.
- Targets need to work with cross-border counsel knowledgeable in the DOJ’s tactics to push back as early as possible.
Client Alert October 19, 2023
- As governments increasingly use sanctions as a geopolitical tool, ultra-high-net-worth individuals – including those with connections to Cyprus – are at risk.
- Cypriot officials and financial institutions have already taken steps to target certain individuals, even those who are not sanctioned.
- We explain pre-emptive steps at-risk individuals and their advisors can take to mitigate the risks and protect themselves.
Accolades October 6, 2023
Kobre & Kim has received recognition in The Legal 500’s latest United Kingdom rankings for the firm’s capabilities in providing individuals with advice in white-collar crime and fraud defense, as well as in reputation management.
Client Alert September 7, 2023
- Cross-border disputes involving ultra-high-net-worth individuals (UHNWIs) can often turn personal.
- Commercial counterparties may try to make the UHNWI individually liable, putting their personal assets at risk.
- However, if there is a connection to Delaware, UHNWIs can leverage the favorable tools available in the jurisdiction to resolve disputes in their favor.
Firm News September 5, 2023
NEW YORK, September 5, 2023 – Kobre & Kim, an international disputes and investigations law firm, has announced that former Eastern District of New York (“EDNY”) Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Keilty has joined the firm to enhance its International Private Client (“IPC”) offering. He will be based in the firm’s New York Office but is expected to travel regularly to the firm’s other offices serving IPC clients, including Dubai, Tel Aviv, Cyprus, Hong Kong and London, among others.
Client Alert August 31, 2023
- As global geopolitical tensions rise, Cypriot-held assets are increasingly under threat.
- Governments, competitors and other counterparties are increasingly launching aggressive and often unwarranted attacks against the Cyprus assets of ultra-high-net-worth individuals.
- At-risk individuals should work with a cross-border team and local counsel to take strategic steps to defend their assets.
Accolades August 25, 2023
We are proud that Kobre & Kim’s Polly Wilkins is a finalist for the 2023 Spear’s Awards for “Lawyer of the Year – Reputation.”
Accolades August 25, 2023
Kobre & Kim and Adriana Riviere-Badell Earn Top Chambers Rankings for Latin America International Counsel
The latest Chambers “Latin America Corporate Crime & Investigations (International Counsel)” rankings have placed Kobre & Kim among the top international firms and Miami-based Adriana Riviere-Badell among the top international lawyers advising on cross-border matters arising in Latin America.
Accolades July 21, 2023
Kobre & Kim has again been ranked highly in the Chambers and Partners United Kingdom-wide High Net Worth Guide 2023 with Jason Masimore earning individual recognition as well.
Client Alert July 6, 2023
- Ultra-high-net-worth individuals embroiled in onshore government, commercial or family disputes may find their offshore trusts a vulnerable target.
- These often-aggressive attacks set up a complex clash of onshore and offshore law, and demand an equally aggressive and comprehensive response.
- There are steps UHNWIs and their advisors can take to reduce their risk exposure and respond to attacks on their wealth.
Accolades June 23, 2023
Kobre & Kim has been shortlisted for the 2023/24 STEP Private Client Awards in the International Legal Team of the Year (midsize firm) category. The awards recognize and celebrate excellence among private client solicitors, lawyers, accountants, barristers, bankers, trust managers and financial advisors.
Client Alert June 22, 2023
U.S. Sanctions Against Individuals in Greater China May Come Suddenly: How Overseas Advisors Can Protect Their Clients from Overreach
- The U.S., UK and their allies are continuing to find tools to exert pressure on China.
- Businesspeople in Greater China with global interests could become targets of financial sanctions if diplomatic relations between China and the U.S. deteriorate further.
- We explain how financial and wealth advisors can mitigate the risks these clients face if they act early and decisively.
Accolades June 7, 2023
Kobre & Kim has earned top recognitions for both white-collar criminal defense and international litigation in the latest rankings of The Legal 500 USA 2023.
Publications June 2, 2023
Evelyn Sheehan and Lara Levinson Explore Navigating Legal Risks in Luxury Asset Transactions in Private Client Global Elite’s “The Month”
The luxury market is characterized by high stakes and confidentiality, but recent developments in the market have led to greater government scrutiny and enforcement actions, which increases risk for market participants. Kobre & Kim’s Evelyn Sheehan and Lara Levinson explore these risks in an article for Private Client Global Elite’s “The Month.”