Client Alert June 29, 2023
- 2023 has continued a trend of increasingly energetic shareholder activism in Korea.
- The most recent annual general meeting season has shed light on the paths activist investors can take to increase their chances of success.
- Our team explores the main takeaways and lessons learned from the season.
Client Alert June 15, 2023
- Recent developments in the Korean legal landscape have been in activist investors’ favor, opening new opportunities to assert their rights and interests in Korean companies.
- Still, the intricacies of the Korean market and the dominance of chaebols mean investors should still tread carefully.
- Creative strategies that navigate these complexities can bring investors the greatest chances of success.
Client Alert January 18, 2023
Opportunities for Foreign Activist Investors to Take Advantage of Korea’s Shifting Corporate Landscape
- The Korean corporate landscape is becoming more favorable for activist campaigns.
- Foreign activist investors have new opportunities to push for change and maximize value, even against the biggest chaebols.
- Our team explains what these developments mean and how investors can take advantage.
Client Alert December 7, 2022
- Minority shareholders have options to stand up to majority shareholders and directors, such as unfair prejudice claims or derivative actions.
- However, if these do not achieve the desired result, one more tool is available to exert pressure: a just and equitable winding up.
- We lay out how this tool can be applied in five key jurisdictions for corporate structures in Asia.
Client Alert October 12, 2022
- Recent developments in Korea have made Korean chaebols attractive to overseas activist investors.
- However, the intricacies of Korean capital markets and legal practice, and the influence of chaebols, mean investors need to tread carefully.
- Only by engaging in creative strategies that consider local and overseas factors can investors have the greatest chance of maximizing shareholder value.
Client Alert August 31, 2022
- Minority shareholders may be surprised to learn that they have effective options when a director or other fiduciary has harmed the company.
- However, the situation may be complicated when structures cross borders, as many corporate structures in Asia do, including spreading offshore.
- Our Claim Monetization team explores how shareholders can deploy derivative actions in five key jurisdictions across Asia Pacific, the UK and the Caribbean as part of an effective cross-border strategy.
Client Alert July 26, 2022
- Minority shareholders may have certain remedies available when they feel their rights have been unfairly prejudiced by the majority.
- However, the situation may be complicated when structures cross borders – typical corporate structures in Asia may spread across offshore and other key regions.
- Our Claim Monetization team lays out the basic parameters of the tools open to minority shareholders across five key jurisdictions.
Client Alert September 15, 2021
- Minority shareholders of South Korean industrial conglomerates, or “chaebols,” have had few ways to protect their interests against controlling shareholders.
- However, with the passage of new amendments to the Korea Commercial Code (KCC), minority shareholders have gained new tools to even the playing field.
- Our Claim Monetization and Dilution team looks at the key changes and implications that minority shareholders and activist investors should know about.
For media inquiries, please contact:
email | +1 646 448 6283