800 Third Avenue
New York, New York 10022
+1 212 488 1213
Carrie Tendler’s practice centers on international judgment and arbitral award enforcement as well as cross-border asset forfeiture and recovery. She handles matters involving sovereign and commercial entities, and often develops the strategy for and leads enforcement efforts around the world.
In addition to her enforcement work, Ms. Tendler advises clients in high-stakes commercial litigation and cross-border debtor-creditor disputes.
Prior to joining Kobre & Kim, Ms. Tendler practiced at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP, representing institutional clients in civil and regulatory actions. Earlier in her career, she clerked for the Honorable Paul J. Kelly, Jr. of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Fordham University School of Law, JD (Fordham Law Review, Associate Editor)
- Pennsylvania State University, BA
- Honorable Paul J. Kelly, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- New York Super Lawyers, General Litigation
- Who's Who Legal, Asset Recovery
- The Legal 500 United States, International Litigation
Government Enforcement Defense
- Representation of two Russian businessmen in connection with an investigation by Russian authorities into the Russia-based financial institution founded by our clients. We are coordinating the global defense of the Russian Federation's politically motivated legal assistance requests against our clients in the U.S. and several offshore jurisdictions, acting as counsel in an ongoing civil case in the U.S., as well as implementing defensive strategies for cross-border asset forfeiture proceedings.
International Judgment Enforcement & Offshore Asset Recovery
- Representation of ConocoPhillips in relation to the enforcement of International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration claims against the PDVSA and the Republic of Venezuela.
- Representation of plaintiffs in a vitamin C price-fixing antitrust class action in enforcing a US $147 million+ judgment of a New York court against Chinese companies.
- Representation of Chevron in the successful enforcement of an investment treaty arbitration award against the Republic of Ecuador for US $100 million+ (with interest). Kobre & Kim's efforts in executing an enforcement strategy, including asset tracing, efforts to identify seizure targets, and the service of numerous discovery requests, culminated in Ecuador's paying Chevron the entirety of the original award plus interest.
- Representation of a financial institution established by the Korean government in a worldwide asset recovery effort against a shell company and other individuals involved in fraudulent schemes to hide assets.
- Advising large accounting and technology consulting firm on enforcement and recovery issues related to dispute with industrial and commercial conglomerate based in Eastern Europe.
- Representation of Latin American creditor in the tracing and recovery of US $250 million+ throughout the U.S., the Caribbean and Europe.
- Representation of a judgment creditor in enforcing a judgment of US $500 million+, as against a multinational company judgment debtor with assets in Europe and Asia.
Insolvency & Debtor-Creditor Disputes
- Representation of a prominent Asian life insurance company in assessing potential claims against an issuer and collateral manager of bonds collateralized by a portfolio of life settlements that lost value due to mismanagement and illiquidity in the life settlements market.
- Defense of an investment firm and its founder in a subsequent transfer action brought by the court-appointed trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (BLMIS) in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York to recover funds deposited by another BLMIS customer.
- Representation of a Cayman Islands fund in connection with matters in the courts of the Cayman Islands and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York relating to attempts by the trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC to recover losses arising from the Bernard L. Madoff Ponzi scheme.
Financial Products & Services Litigation
- Representation of MAXAM Capital, a U.S. hedge fund investment manager, against class and derivative actions by investors in the underlying fund arising out of US $280 million in investment losses.
- Representation of a hedge fund investment manager in derivative actions and purportedclass-actions lawsuit filed by investors against so-called feeder funds that held securities with Bernard L. Madoff.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Federal Bar Council, Member
- Fordham University School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy
- INSOL International, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, "Changing Rules for Foreign Arbitral Awards" (Today's General Counsel, December 2016)
- Co-author, "Asset Recovery — United States" (Getting the Deal Through, 2016)
- Co-author, "Asset Recovery — United States" (Getting the Deal Through, 2015)
- Speaker, "Does a Final Judgment Mean Anything Anymore?" (C5 4th Miami Forum on Fraud, Asset Tracing & Recovery, Miami, October 2015)
- Co-author, "In Depth: Are Large Judgments The Next Target for Hedge Funds" (FINalternatives, August 2015)
- Co-author, “Views on International Litigation Issues, Trends from Kobre & Kim LLP Partners” (Bloomberg BNA, June 2015)
- Co-author, "A Novel Strategy for Clawing Back Fund Distributions in Cayman" (Westlaw Journal, March 2015)
- Co-author, "Using Chapter 15 to Recover Domestic Assets of a Foreign Judgment Debtor" (Inside Counsel, February 2015)
- Co-author, "Asset Recovery — United States" (Getting the Deal Through, 2014)
- Speaker, "Cross-Border Enforcement of Judgments for Thefts of Intellectual Property" (Corporate Counsel IP Trademark, Copyright & Licensing Counsel Forum, New York, October 2013)
- Speaker, "Recent Trends in Mortgage-Backed Securities Litigation: Investor Claims & Defenses" (New York City Bar Association, New York, April 2013)
- Speaker, "Recent Trends in Mortgage-Backed Securities Litigation" (New York City Bar Association, New York, March 2012)
- Co-author, "The Case for a Constitutional Definition of Hearsay: Requiring Confrontation of Testimonial, Nonassertive Conduct and Statements Admitted to Explain an Unchallenged Investigation" (Marquette Law Review, 2010)
- Author, "An Indictment of Bright Line Tests for Honest Services Mail Fraud" (Fordham Law Review, 2004)
Attorney Advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.