25 Old Broad Street
London, EC2N 1HQ
+44 (0) 20 3301 5714
Anna Gilbert is an English solicitor-advocate who represents high-net-worth individuals and multinational institutions in connection with complex financial products disputes. She frequently advises offshore and onshore clients in connection with disputes involving assets that are invested through complex offshore company structures, and her practice has a particular focus on disputes involving fraud, financial impropriety and economic wrongdoing on a global scale. Ms. Gilbert’s engagements regularly involve the coordination of multi-jurisdictional proceedings for clients across a range of industry sectors, including for private clients, financial institutions, oil and gas companies and insurers.
Prior to joining Kobre & Kim, Ms. Gilbert practiced as an Australian-qualified lawyer at Minter Ellison Lawyers in Australia. She also practiced at Charles Russell LLP in the UK, where she worked on a variety of commercial disputes for private and commercial clients, with particular emphasis on intellectual property, contractual, investor and fiduciary disputes.
- Solicitor, England & Wales
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, Skills and Ethics
- Griffith University, Queensland, BA, LLB, first-class honors
- Queen Mary, University of London, Postgraduate Diploma, International Commercial Arbitration
Financial Products and Services and Litigation
- Representation of a high net worth individual against a U.S. publisher in a defamation claim involving allegations of financial impropriety and market-manipulation.
- Representation of hedge fund administrator in the US $350 million+ dispute pending in London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) regarding services rendered to a Bermuda-based hedge fund.
- Representation of U.S. hedge funds in municipal bond arbitrage litigation against an investment bank in England regarding breach of contract arising of investment agreements, involving £30 million+ in controversy.
- Representation of an institutional hedge fund investor in relation to alleged breaches of various contracts and mobile telecommunications licensing by a mobile communications provider in Jamaica, involving parallel litigation in the courts of Jamaica and New York.
- Advising a London-based institutional investor in connection with disputes against a master servicer relating to alleged breaches of servicing standards in mortgage-backed securities.
- Representation of a hedge fund in relation to a potential claim against a trustee and structured product originator, relating to the purchase of US $30+ million in credit-linked notes.
- Representation of an Asian airline in risk assessment of a lease of Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft and in non-delivery dispute of Boeing 767 aircraft resulting in anticipated losses exceeding US $20 million.
- Advising a US hedge fund in connection with English litigation, in which the main broker of the fund issued a claim for the recovery of the margin and an allegation of the deposit and financing terms of the International Securities Lending Association Agreement; the amount of the dispute was more than GB £50 million.
- Representing a major shareholder of a Chinese real estate holding company incorporated in the Cayman Islands, dealing with potential default disputes involving a US $500 million line of credit with a number of US banks.
- Advising a publicly listed Spanish company in connection with proposed claims against banks in England and Spain in connection with economic torts.
Trusts and Estates Litigation
- Representation of trust beneficiaries in a multi-jurisdictional dispute involving trust assets valued in excess of US $4 billion, including the replacement of trustees in the Cayman Islands and New Zealand, in connection with related onshore of multijurisdictional investigations involving allegations of fraud, bribery and money laundering.
- Representation of the beneficiaries of a Cayman Islands trusts in a family dispute regarding the distribution of U.K. based trust assets valued in excess of $26 million.
International Judgment Enforcement & Offshore Asset Recovery
- Representation of Chevron Corporation in connection with claims involving multiple litigation funders in key offshore financial centers resulting in the successful negotiation of settlement agreements, including the cessation of funding, in relation to the attempts to enforce a US $9.5 billion Ecuadorian judgment against Chevron.
- Advising a Swiss hedge fund in connection with global asset recovery strategies involving a claim for defaults under a Bond instrument with recoverable assets in excess of US $100 million.
- Advising an arbitration party in connection with global asset seizure and recovery strategies against a sovereign in connection with a potential US$ multi-billion award
- Advising a green energy company in connection with strategies for the enforcement of an English High Court judgment for breach of fiduciary duty involving assets held on constructive trust in the British Virgin Islands, Cyprus, Seychelles, Anguilla, and Panama.
- Conduct and defense of a tri-party LCIA arbitration on behalf of a valuation agent against a hedge fund in liquidation in connection with alleged losses in excess of $200 million.
- Representation of a UK-based insurer in an ad hoc arbitration disputing coverage under excess of loss policy for a share of $950+ million settlement of product liability claims.
- Representation of an insurer in an ad hoc arbitration in connection with a fatal helicopter crash.
Professional & Community Involvement
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation, Member
- Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association, Member
- The Law Society of England and Wales, Member
- London Solicitors Litigation Association, Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Member
- International Association of Young Lawyers, Member
- London Court of International Arbitration European Users' Council, Member
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, "Litigation Aspects of the Panama Papers" (Gore-Browne on Companies Special Release, March 2017)
- Co-author, "Why International Litigants Are Using Chapter 15 to Optimize Financial Recoveries in Foreign Insolvency Proceedings" (Bankruptcy Strategist, August 2016)
- Co-author, "The 'Panama Papers' Leak: How Creditors Can Benefit" (The Corporate Counselor, August 2016)
- Co-author, "The Panama Papers: Implication for Creditors" (Global Banking and Finance Review, June 2016)
- Co-author, "Creditor Opportunities from the Panama Papers Saga" (Wealth Briefing, June 2016)
- Panelist, "How to Freeze Assets in Foreign Jurisdictions" (AIJA Conference, Santa Margherita, September 2014)
- Speaker, "When Time is of Essence: Preventive Measures to Secure One's Rights" (AIJA Conference, Munich, October 2012)
- Co-author, "Clawing Back Funds from Pre-LBO Shareholders" (Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, May 2012)
Attorney Advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.